Apes Trivia Contest
|Thanks to a special promotion with Del Ray (a division of Random House),
we're giving away 10 copies of the original Planet of the Apes
novel, by Pierre Boulle, back in print for the new movie. All you have to
do is correctly answer the following trivia questions. We'll hold a
drawing on July 27, 2001, from all correct entries to decide the winners.
Answers (final or otherwise) must be received via e-mail by July 26, 2001,
in order to be eligible. Be sure to include your e-mail and snail mail
address on your entry. Personal info will NOT be shared with anyone. Good
CONTEST HAS ENDED. Thanks to everyone who entered and made our first
contest a big success. All of the answers could be found on the website,
many of them on the Trivia page. Answers and winners below.
- List the Apes films in chronological order.
On this question, we were looking for the order
in which the events depicted occurred (Escape, Conquest,
Battle, Planet, Beneath), rather than the order
of release (Planet, Beneath, Escape, Conquest,
Battle), but could have worded the question better. A few
contestants got the order correct, but due to our oversight, we
accepted both answers here.
- Two actors from the original Planet of the Apes appear in the
current film. Who are they?
Charlton Heston and Linda Harrison. Heston plays
Thade's father, of course. Linda Harrison is standing next to Leo in
the cage after being rounded up in the hunt. She originally had a
line, advising him not to speak, which, unfortunately, didn't make it
into the final print.
- Charlton Heston made two other classic sci-fi films. Name them.
The Omaga Man (1971) and Soylent Green
- How many Apes TV series were there?
Two. There was a live-action series, Planet
of the Apes (1974), starring Roddy McDowall, James Naughton, and
Ron Harper. That was followed by an animated series, Return
to the Planet of the Apes (1975). Both series lasted only one
- Linda Harrison once changed her name to what?
- Only one person appeared (shot new scenes for the film) in all five Planet
of the Apes films. Who was it?
This is another where we goofed, so the question
didn't count. Originally, we mistakenly asked for two individuals. The
one person who appeared in all five Apes films -- Hollywood columnist
James Bacon. Bacon did bits as a gorilla in four films, and appeared
as a general in the opening scenes of Escape. Apes Producer
Arthur P. Jacobs liked to give Bacon and fellow columnist Army Archerd
bit parts in his movies for P.R. purposes. Roddy McDowall's voice is
heard in Beneath, but he didn't shoot new footage for the film.
- Which of the lead actors "technically" appeared in all
five films (he played in four, and footage featuring him appeared in
the fifth)? Which film featured the footage?
That was Roddy McDowall. Though he didn't shoot
new footage for Beneath, he was seen briefly in a scene from
the previous film.
- Two famous film directors played in one of the Apes movies.
Who were they and in which film did they appear?
Both John Huston and John Landis appear in Battle
as "The Lawgiver" and "Jake's Friend,"
- Who was originally cast to play Dr. Zaius?
Edward G. Robinson was cast as Dr. Zauis and
appeared in the test film shot for Fox executives. However, due to his
weak heart, Robinson knew he couldn't endure the grueling make-up
- Linda Harrison also appeared in another famous sci-fi film and its
sequel. Name them.
Cocoon (1985) and Cocoon: The Return
(1988), both of which were produced by ex-husband Richard Zanuck.
- Name the three actors who appeared with Charlton Heston in the
make-up test shot by 20th Century-Fox that finally convinced the
studio to greenlight Planet of the Apes?
Edward G. Robinson (Dr. Zauis), James Brolin
(Cornelius), and Linda Harrison (Zira).
- What character did John Landis play?
"Jake's Friend" in Battle.
- Who was the original choice to portray Leo Davidson in the Tim
This was a tough question, but a few people got
it right. The most received answer was Arnold Schwarzenegger, which is
incorrect. Schwarzenegger was slated to play Alexander Troy (there's a
movie name if we ever heard one) in the earlier drafts of the script
that bear no resemblance to the original or the new film. The part of
Leo Davidson, in the final script, was originally offered to Matt
Damon, who turned it down to do the Bourne Identity. The part
was then offered to Mark Wahlberg.
- Linda Harrison was once married to which Apes producer?
She was married to the current Apes producer,
Richard Zanuck who, ironically, was President of 20th Century-Fox when
the original was made. Zanuck greenlit the first film.
- How much was Charlton Heston paid to appear in Beneath the Planet
of the Apes?
Charlton Heston worked for free on Beneath.
He was against doing the sequel for artistic reasons, but was indebted
to studio head Richard Zanuck for making the first film, which was
considered a huge risk. He let Zanuck donate money to his son's school
in lieu of payment.
- Name the three astronauts that land on the planet with Taylor.
Landon, Dodge, and Stewart.
- On what condition did Charlton Heston agree to appear in Beneath
the Planet of the Apes?
Heston agreed to do the sequel if he could be
killed off in the first scene. This was later expanded to Taylor
disappearing at the beginning and him dying at the end, taking the
whole world with him.
- Arthur P. Jacobs was once the publicist for which famous sex symbol?
- Which famous TV writer co-wrote the screenplay for Planet of the
Rod Serling, creator of The Twilight Zone
(which Planet greatly resembles in structure). Among Serling's
wonderful contributions is the Statue of Liberty scene at the end.
- Who played Stewart?
Dianne Stanley. We were very impressed that
everyone got this question correct. Many people mistakenly believe
that Natalie Trundy played Stewart (we did, too, at one time).
- What was the original title for Beneath the Planet of the Apes?
The title we were looking for is Planet of
the Apes Revisited (the title of Joe Russo's new book). However,
many people said Planet of the Men, which we also accepted.
- Name two famous actors who turned down roles in Beneath the
Planet of the Apes.
The two people we were looking for were Orson
Welles (General Ursus) and Burt Reynolds (Brent). However, several
people said Roddy McDowall, which was also correct, so we accepted
- Linda Harrison was the producer's original choice for a character in
a Spielberg film. Name the character and the film.
Linda Harrison was the first choice to play
Chief Brody's wife in Jaws. Harrison was married to Richard
Zanuck at the time, one of the film's producers (he left Fox and
became an independent producer with partner David Brown). Zanuck all
but promised her the role. Steven Spielberg, without knowing what
Zanuck had planned, was taking an exercise class with Lorraine Gary
and practically promised her the role. Lorraine Gary was also married
to Universal honcho Sidney Sheinberg, who had also given Spielberg his
first job. Gary ended up with the part.
- What did Taylor do at the end of Beneath the Planet of the Apes?
Blew up the Earth. Heston mistakenly believed
that would put an end to the Apes sequels.
- What was the original title of Escape from the Planet of the Apes?
This was another tough one, but the answer is in
Joe Russo's Starlog article. It was Secret
of the Planet of the Apes.
- What year did the dogs and cats die in the original film series?
1984. The year of the Plague from space.
Possibly brought back to Earth by an unmanned space probe (Many
records were lost in the War), the Plague spreads over the planet in
weeks, killing all cats and dogs. "Apparently" harmless to
humans and other animal species.
- What was Caesar's name before he changed it?
Milo, named after Dr. Milo, Cornelius and Zira's
companion from Escape.
- Who raised Caesar?
Armando, the Circus Owner (portrayed by Ricardo
- What happened to Nova in Planet of the Apes that was cut from
Taylor learned that she was pregnant.
- What famous songwriter appeared in Battle for the Planet of the
Paul Williams, playing Virgil. He co-wrote the
Oscar-winning "Evergreen" with Barbra Streisand ("it's
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR WINNERS!
Oklahoma City, OK
Ann Arbor, MI